Nainital is a glittering jewel in the Himalyan necklace, blessed with scenic natural spledour and varied natural resources . Dotted with lakes , Nainital has earned the epithet of 'Lake District' of India . The most prominent of the lakes is Naini lake ringed by hills . Nainital has a varied topography . Some of the important places in the district are Nainital , Haldwani , Kaladhungi , Ramnagar , Bhowali , Ramgarh , Mukteshwar , Bhimtal , Sattal and Naukuchiatal . Nainital's unending expense of scenic beauty is nothing short of a romance with awe-inspiring and pristine Mother nature.
The most popular picnic spot in Kumaon, it commands a birds eye view of Naini Tal and the sparkling snow laden Himalayas can be seen in their towering glory from this beautiful spot. It is 5.6-kms from the town and one of the most beautiful treks. The soft cool air, the shade of the tall trees, the songs of the birds, the quaint summerhouse welcomes you.
Also known, as "Tiffin Top" is a memorial to Mrs. Dorothy Kellet built by her husband. It commands an excellent view of the Himalayas as well as the neighbouring countryside. It is 4.3-kms from the town. One can trek or negotiate on horseback.
It affords, as the name suggests, and undesirably beautiful and breath taking picture of the glittering snows. It is the most easily accessible hill top, 2.42- kms from the town. One can trek or go on horse back or by cable car.
One does not have to climb much, about 4 km and as the name suggests, one feels on reaching the area that the end of the land has really come. Needless to say, the view of the neighbouring hills and valley and the Khurpatal lake is exquisite from here.
St. John-In-The Wilderness:
One of the earliest buildings as well as churches erected in Naini Tal. It is very close to the Uttaranchal High Court. The site was chosen as early as 1844 and was first opened on April 2, 1848. It is a beautiful church with a marvellous interior and stained glasses on the windows.
The foundation stone of the naini tal government house, modelled after buckingham palace, was laid on April 27, 1897 and the building was completed in March 1900. The architecture of Raj Bhawan has been professionally described as of “the early domestic Gothic style”. the house stands upon a plateau, and the combined effect of its environs, the vividly green lawn, grey stone steps and well grown old deodar trees is dignified, peaceful and strongly reminiscent of the English countryside.
11 kms from the town, Kilbury is sanctum sanctorum of bio-diversity and an ideal place for bird watchers and nature lovers for a quiet and peaceful holiday.